Monday 25 August 2014

Review: Muc-Off wet lube.

Since fitting the PC-971 to the Roux about 400 miles ago, I've only ever lubed it with the White Lightning Epic Ride I introduced in a previous post. I've noticed signs of wear recently like the chain checker sitting very low in the chain and being able to see between the inner and outer chain plates if I flex the chain sideways sooooo... I'm switching back to a wet lube. They can be messy but I'm starting to suspect they offer more wear protection.



The Finish Line ceramic wet lube isn't very water proof so I decided to try Muc-Off's wet lube as I believe it's been reformulated since I last tried it. The original lube smelled vaguely of blueberries but this stuff smells incredible! It's like the smell of old-fashioned gear box oil mixed with blueberries. If you don't like mechanical type smells like petrol, diesel or gearbox oil etc maybe give this one a miss, it's quite potent, but I love it.

I applied one drip per link to a thoroughly degreased chain and although I've only done 34 miles on it, I'm pleased so far. It was a dry ride so I've no idea how water-proof it is but my chain was smooth and super-silent yesterday.

2nd November update: Well, summer's over and the rainy weather is starting again. I went out for an hour in the pouring rain recently and the morning after there wasn't a speck of rust on the chain so I'm impressed with the water proofing of this lube. Sure the chain gets a bit clarty and gritty but with wet lubes you have to accept the chain needs to be deep cleaned every 60-100 miles.

2 years later review (October 2016): I have stopped using this lube now in favour of synthetic based oils. This lube is vegetable based and vegetable oils go through a process known as resinification where the oil dries out and becomes clarty and gluey. I've used a couple of the bikes since this review where they hadn't been ridden for 6 months and oil had turned into a hard black residue that was a pain in the arse to clean off.



No comments:

Post a Comment