Wednesday 19 November 2014

Replacing the Tektros with Shimano R650 brakes.

Not being a huge fan of road bike rim brakes so far I decided to give them another chance. I've heard fantastic things about Shimano R650 calipers recently so I decided to upgrade my crappy Tektros.



At the time I ordered, Wiggle only had the front brakes in so I ordered one and decided to order the rear at a later date. One thing I noticed when taking the B650 out of the box was how typically Shimano-like it felt. Squeezing the pads together, the caliper was silky smooth and springy. In contrast, when I removed the Tektro it was weird, they obviously have a stronger spring than the Shimanos but the pads felt far less 'springy' when you squeezed then together - I guess the Shimano calipers have much better bearings and pivots in them.

Anyhow, I've just popped around to the 'rents to pick a package and the new front brake is really impressive. Perfect modulation but a huge increase in usable power. I just need to get my finger out and order a rear one now!

No comments:

Post a Comment