Tuesday 3 September 2019

September 2019.

1st September: Apart from a couple of motons, it was a fairly good ride today. My dad's had a leg removed so I had to be free to push him to the pub for lunch at 2 o'clock so I decided to get out for a fairly early ride. Awesom-O's had some minor surgery, a replacement right-hand shifter lever, new inner brake and gear cables and new bar tape, so I was happy to take him out for a late summer spin. It was warmish but extremely windy, heading out and up the track extremely windy - I was struggling to maintain 13 mph at times but coming back down the track was great fun with the wind behind me.



I did two ups and downs of the farm track and headed back through the village. I had a minor close pass from a van on the way out but as I was cycling through the village a woman in a large white car waiting to turn right waited until I was almost on her to pull out in front of me. I don't think she'll forget me bellowing "MORON!!!" through her window as she passed me in a hurry! Anyhow, an early start to September in more way than one and 19.4 miles.

7th September: After a ridiculous amount of rain recently it was a gorgeous early autumn day today so I took the Strael out for a spin. It was fairly warm and sunny without much wind but it's that time of year when you can feel a bit chilly at the start of a ride so I've ordered a cheap long sleeved jersey from B'Twin which I'll review after a couple of rides. There was definitely a bit of the 'autumn's here' in the air because there were lots of cyclists out enjoying the sun while they could. Anyhow, a very pleasant ride and 20.1 more miles.

14th September: After several days of yet more rain it was a gorgeous early autumn day today, warm and sunny and not too windy so the Strael got a run out. I was going to get back to doing the usual three ups and downs of the path but made something of a clothing mistake that rendered that unwise. Being autumn I decided to wear my new B'Twin 500 long sleeved top thinking it was just a light weight jersey. It isn't, the material is quite thick and it's brushed on the inside so I basically ended up melting and ended up cycling with it half unzipped.



Aside from that, I had one of the cutest animal encounters I've ever had. I was heading down a bosky section of the path i call insect alley when I saw a small grey squirrel and two juveniles on the path about eight feet in front of me. They didn't seem remotely concerned with the two young ones clambering over each other playing. I stood still and they all started walking towards me in a line. They eventually all walked right past me and dived back into the trees at the side of the path and disappeared - amazing! Anyhow, another 20.1 miles.

Photo credit: Joel Sartore.

21st September: Well, it hasn't rained for a few days and there's an area of high pressure sitting over the UK at the moment so it was a lovely warm sunny day to take the Strael out for a spin. Beofre I left, I was looking for something in my bike parts tub when I found a set of Shimano replacement SPD cleats. The cleats on my shoes looked pretty worn so I replaced them with the new ones using blue Loctite on the bolts. I started with a lap of the fishing pond at Siding Lane and then headed for the farm track. I was going to do three ups and downs but it was extremely windy so I ended up just doing two before heading home. Apart from nearly being taken out by an elderly man driving a Ford pickup (see the theme again?) it was a very enjoyable ride, the fresh cleats clipped in and out a lot more efficiently which surprised me,  and certainly one of the last chances this year to top up the tan. 20.1 miles.

22nd September: It was even warmer than it was yesterday, 22 °C according to the Wahoo, so the Strael got another spin out today. Once again I was going to do three ups and downs but it was even windier than it was yesterday which was weird. It was like cycling in the summer sun but with a winter wind which was very odd. Anyhow, because of the wind, and the fact I'd wet shaved my head this morning and didn't want to risk burning it, I only did two ups and downs plus a look up Back Lane and back for a rather pleasant 20.3 miles.

Well September ended with another week of heavy rain so I didn't manage to get out again. This meant September goes out with a mere 100.0 miles on the clock. If this is global warming, and I suspect it is, we're screwed. Go Greta!

No comments:

Post a Comment