Sunday 9 February 2014

Review: Ceramic wet chain lube from Finish Line.

Having used Finish Line wet lube on and off since it hit the market in the early nineties, I had to give this new 'high tech' version a try. It consists of a fully synthetic 'racing' base lube with powdered hexagonal boron nitride suspended in it. Hexagonal boron nitride is a super-slick, hard-wearing ceramic molecule not dissimilar to graphite but much, much tougher.



I've used about half a bottle of this lube so far and I'm extremely impressed. It really does make your entire drive train utterly silent, it almost feels like you're cycling along with no chain. It isn't perfect though, compared to Finish Line's standard wet lube it's much thinner and isn't as water proof. I went for a 28 mile ride yesterday in very wet and muddy conditions and my chain is fairly rusty this morning with lots of orange spots. I remove and clean my chain when it gets like this (and after every 3 dry rides anyway) so this isn't actually much of an issue, it's still a great lube! There is one slight downside however, the boron nitride particles tend to sink to the bottom and the oil needs a really, really good shaking to get it into suspension again.

Overall, as a summer lube, highly recommended! 


No comments:

Post a Comment