Thursday 13 February 2014

Getting the miles in: You need a 'go to' route.

One thing I've really found helps get the mileage in is to have a 'go to' route. A route that requires no thought or planning. A route when you know you have to drag yourself out the house and get some mileage in but really can't be bothered... 

My first one was a 14.7 mile route that included several miles of heaved up old tarmac, called the old coach road, through some very scenic countryside near to where I live it but was very jarring because of the road surface.



I subsequently found my current go to route, aka my 'local 18'. It's not very interesting: 

Up the bypass and under the M58. Turn left at the Stanley Gate pub, cross country for a few miles then turn left and over the M58. Drop down into Kirkby and keep going 'til I reach the East Lancs road. Turn left and keep going to Windle Island then turn left and back up the bypass to the village.

It's not very exciting but it gets me out on my bike after a long, hard day at work which is the whole point of a 'go to' route. Oh, and if you've ever seen an idiot on a blue bike in the area wearing cycling shorts whatever the weather, it was probably me...

No comments:

Post a Comment