Thursday 3 April 2014

April 2014.

3rd April: The local 18 with a slight extension to pick a parcel up from my dad's saw 18.1 miles to start April off.

6th April: Met James in Haskayne today to do another ride I found on Cycle Routes. We both really enjoyed it, being on the Lancashire Plain it is pretty hill free and the route has a nice mix of country side, main roads and, of course, the seafront (rumour has it that with a powerful enough telescope you can actually see the sea occasionally!).




The weather was overcast and grey with the occasional rain shower but we both reckon it would be a cracking ride when the weather's a bit nicer. Anyhow, that's another 33.2 for the month!

10th April: I've got today and tomorrow off work and it's sunny today so I decided a ride was in order. I'm getting quite bored of the local 18 so I fired up Map my Ride and drew this route.




It was quite fun but boy do I need to remember to check the contour graphic next time! There are some short but extremely steep (10%!) hills on this route and some very long somewhat more enjoyable ones - I had to keep telling myself it's all good training! Anyhow, another 23.3 in the bag.

15th April: Did the local 18 for the first time on my new Whyte MTB. I'm still dialling in the various heights and angles but I averaged a best ever 16.3 mph which was pretty cool. Another 17.9 in the bag.


19th April: Did the Haskayne run again with James today with a slight edit for coffee and cake at Scarisbrick canal marina. It was warm and sunny but quite windy, it's another 34.1 in the bag at least. 


27th April: I left finding a route to the last minute this week but managed to find one called 'The Ribble Valley fell runner' on Cycle Routes. It was rated a 10 for difficulty by it's creator and now I know why! It was one of the most scenic rides we've done but there are two killer climbs on the route. The first, and biggest, was a 3 miler that climbs nearly 1000 feet with parts of the road having a 20% gradient. Anyhow, at the top it was through the moors and then some insanely steep downs. I'm a bit paranoid about these sort of speeds and maxed 35 mph on the ride but 50 mph would have been attainable! This is the view across the moors at the top of the climb:




We soon worked out that this much climbing gives you a sore bum because the second climb is just as steep but a fair bit shorter and we actually walked about 100 yards of it because neither of us could sit on our bikes! We soon got back on though and finished it. Another 28.9 for the month and here's the route:



Update: My Edge 200 said my max speed was just over 35 mph (I'm a total coward on the really steep down bits) so I texted James to see what his was and it was 47.2 mph - scary!

29th April: Did the local 18 this evening but starting and finishing at my mum and dad's place for an actual 18 miles.


Not a brilliant month with a total of 173.4 but I had a massive crash mid-month (the bikes's fine but I'm still sore and black and blue) and a wisdom tooth out which was another couple of days off the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment