Saturday 3 May 2014

Interesting new lube I'm trying: White Lightning EPIC RIDE.

I tried dry lubes at Uni years ago when they first appeared but I never really got on with them. Yes they were clean but they only seemed to last 15 or 20 miles before all the lube had flaked off. Since then I've been a devoted wet lube user resigned to the fact I'm always going to have black oily chains that needs a good deep clean every two or three rides. I've heard a few good things about this lube on the net so I decided I had to try a bottle.


'The performance of a wet-style lubricant and the cleanliness of a dry-style lubricant' it says on their website. Sounds heavenly but is it actually any good? When I fitted the new SRAM chain to the Whyte, I degreased and dried it and then slathered it in EPIC RIDE (beware, this stuff is like water and drips and flies everywhere). The first couple of rides were smooth and quiet and amazingly, my chain wasn't turning black! The other great thing about it is that you don't have to clean the chain before reapplication, I've re-lubed a couple of times now and chain is still clean, it's picks up the odd bit of muck and grit but nothing like as much as a wet lube does.

I'm doing a 35 miler tomorrow with James which should take the Whyte up to 160 miles so I'll probably clean the chain properly afterwards but 160 miles between deep cleans is a lot better that the 40-50 miles I used to get with wet lubes. Overall, very impressed although it'll be interesting to see what mileage I get out of this chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment